Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 3: Horses Plan and How It Went

*All of the daily ideas I’m using come from Pinterest and you can find them on my Pinterest Boards.  The weekly ideas are my own and can also be found on my Pinterest Boards.* P.s. If you are wondering why certain words are bolded certain day, it’s because each day of the week that is our daily theme that relates to our weekly theme.  I hope that makes sense. :)

So I’ve been think about changing up my daily schedule.  I haven’t decided how, but after finding a bazillion fun ideas for sensory, I’m going to start adding sensory to each week or trying to at least.  Just a side note.

Horses
Monday:  I’m planning to take Lijah to the library Monday to go the the 1hr class they have in the Weber County Libraries in Utah.  They usually focus on a letter and then a concept, ie. C is the letter and they learn about colors.  This is just another way you could use for your weekly themes.  For us, this wouldn’t work, but it may for some of you if you can find out all the weekly themes of your library.  I don’t know if ours gives out the information.  Anyway, while there, I plan to pick up some books about horses which I plan to reserve today, so hopefully they’ll be there by Monday.  The books I’ve reserved are Horseplay!, Clip-Clop, and Horses: Trotting! Prancing! Racing!

How it Went:
So this week our books were ready to pick up on Monday, but unfortunately we weren’t ready.  My son has the stomach bug and is just getting over it today (Tuesday), so we haven’t read the books or picked them up, hopefully Wednesday!  We had to improvise since he’s been sick.  My mom downloaded a horse petting game that my son really liked.  We also watched his favorite horse show Spirit.  If you have children that love horses, I highly recommend it!  I like it and I’m not obsessed with horses like my son.  Sometimes plans have to adapt due to sickness, etc.  Story of the life of any mother. :)

Tuesday:  I found 2 songs that I like on my Horses Weekly Planning Ideas that I will add to my Week 3:  Horses Board.  One is on the pin 3 knee bopping rhymes for babies about ponies and is to the tune April Showers from Disney’s Bambi.   I don’t know about you, but I needed a quick refreshers course of this song.  I just looked it up on Youtube.  The other song I liked is from the pin Wild West/Rodeo Preschool Theme sung to I’m a Little Tea Pot.  You can also do the other idea I’ll add on here, She’ll be Coming Around the Mountain.  If we get ambitious, we’ll do 3 songs.  He likes me to sing them at least 3 times each usually, so we’ll see how we feel.

How it Went:
We definitely we’re not feeling ambitious since he’s still getting over his sickness.  I sang both of the songs to him 3 times, but he is grumpy from lack of food and normal amounts of liquid (who wouldn’t be, right?), so he didn’t love them.  I’ll try again with them later  this week and we’ll see if he likes them.  

Wednesday:  Our plan is to do the art activity horse mask coloring page.  Lately Lijah has loved wearing this little cowboy hat that we have, so I think he’ll like the mask.  If not, when he’s older and if he still likes horses, I think he’ll like it.  I think I’ll color one too that I can have my mom laminate so it will stay nice and he and his future siblings can play with.  We’ll probably at it to our dress up box.



How it Went:  
We did color the mask at like 7:30pm and my little guy’s bedtime is 8, so we haven’t yet worn or played with the mask.  I also haven’t colored the one that we’ll probably laminate and put in dress-ups.  I anticipated how long moving would take, but not moving in, not to mention the sickness we dealt with.  In other words, we’ll get to it eventually, I don’t feel as pressed for time since he’ll still love horses for a while.  At least I hope so.

Thursday:  At our house, we have many horses due to my son’s obsession. So this is the activity we chose.  One in particular needs cleaning, so we are going to cleaning that horse and talk about all the work it takes to up keep a horse.  I took an equestrian class in college and loved it, but how much work they are definitely discouraged me from wanting them for myself.  This pin is called Montessori Monday: Montessori inspired farm unit.

How it Went:
We didn’t do this activity, I had a doctors appointment that kind of threw a wrench in our day, so we’re planning to wash the horse Friday as well as do the field trip.

Friday: This is the day we can go on field trips, so if we find neighbors in our new neighborhood that have horses and will let us come see them, that’s what we’ll do (we are moving tomorrow).  If that doesn’t work out, Friday is going to be either field trip or sensory day.  I found so many awesome pins on sensory activities.  I’m getting super excited to make a sensory bin, basket/box, and my favorite way to sensory play so far is in ziplock bag with duct tape and painting tape!  Anyway, so our sensory activity if we can’t field trip will be from the pin Tot School for Twos Farm Fun: Horseplay.  It’s that picture that I’m planning to do!  I think my little guy will really like it!  I just need to go buy a sensory bin.  I have some I could use, but I want it to be shallow and sturdy.  p.s. The reason I’m planning this now instead of tomorrow is because we’re moving tomorrow and I know I won’t have time.




How it Went:
We washed his horse as a sensory idea. He didn’t do a lot of washing of the horse.  We just washed the horse in his high chair with a little water, a tiny bit of liquid soap, and a washcloth.  He loved washing his tray, playing with the water, and making bubbles with the soap.  He learned about cleaning plus was able to play.  It could probably have kept him busy for 15 minutes to a half hour if you are looking for a time occupier while making dinner.  We also talked about washing the horse’s body parts like we do when we wash his body.  I was planning to use a toothbrush, but since we moved, I’m not sure where everything thing is, so we didn’t end up using a toothbrush and I don’t think he was ready for that fine of motor skills yet.  It worked out.

Saturday:  The food I’m planning to give him is simple and fun!  I’m going to do carrots and apples (from the pin with those pics) and then do the rice crispy treats(from the pin with that pic).  We may not do the licorice.  I’m not sure if my son can have it with his allergies, we’ll have to see!  This is also a learning day OR a learning day, so I may show him the pin with all the pictures of different kinds of horses.

How it Went:
So we didn’t end up doing our food activity.  Although he did eat apples and a rice crispy treat.  I just didn’t explain it.  We have read 2 of the books we reserved for horse week, the other is still on hold.  My son and I really liked Horses Trotting! Prancing! Racing!  The illustrations are cute too!  We didn’t really like Horseplay!  We’ll see if we like the other one when we finally get it.

Overall, this week was a little bit of failure between moving and sickness, we didn’t do as much as I would have liked.  Good think there is always next year.  Unless of course he’s no longer into horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment