Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 8: Numbers 2015 Plan and How it Went

*All of the daily ideas I’m using come from Pinterest and you can find them on my Pinterest Boards.  Most of the weekly ideas are my own and can also be found on my Pinterest Boards.* P.s. If you are wondering why certain words are bolded certain days, it’s because each day of the week that is our daily theme that relates to our weekly theme.  I hope that makes sense. :)

Just fyi, I may not follow my weekly plans exactly.  Sometime this year we will do a potty training week and I also combined TV shows and Movies into one week.  I also want to do Colors and Shapes again this year, so there may be minor changes, but you will know about them if you follow my blog. :)  For example Ocean/Beach week just moved to March 30th.

Numbers

I love 2 of the ideas from the pin 9 Early Counting Games.  I’m going to print the 5 cheeky monkeys.  I will also use the 3 Bears that I’ve already printed and colored for counting.  I think we’ll only work on 1-5 for now, but the time he is two, I think he’ll at least know 0-10, but we’ll see.  So far he can repeat the numbers, but I’ve seen no indication of understanding yet.

Monday:  If Lijah is feeling better than we’ll go to the library and pick up our books and take some back as well as stay for the 30 min “class” for toddlers.  The books we’re going to pick up are Counting Crocodiles by Judy Sierra, Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree by Eileen Christelow, Richard Scarry's Best Counting Book Ever.  That last book is checked out until next month, so we’ll read it later.  We also have a really good sensory numbers book.  It’s a touch and feel 1-10 that we’ll probably use.  If you want the name of it, just ask in the comments. :)

How it Went:
So we read a book I found out my mom has.  5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed and the touch and feel one I mentioned above.  We also got Counting Crocodiles, but didn’t get a chance to read it today.  We did go to the library to pick up and drop off books.  We only did that because there wasn’t a class today, but we wouldn’t have gone even if there was because my little man has RSV.  We are avoiding little children for a little while longer.  Definitely not something we want to pass on.  He really liked the books, but my husband and I sang him the both the monkey songs (5 Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree and 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed) and he liked that way better.  He tries to mimic the motions we do with our hands.

Tuesday:  The songs we are going to sing are 5 Little Monkey Swinging in a Tree and 5 Green and Speckled Frogs.  I would love to make a little visual for this one as well like the one I pinned on my Week 8 Numbers Board.  If you don’t know how the songs go, both of those pins have the words at least.  The 9 Early Counting Games is the one that has the 5 cheeky monkeys (or 5 Little Monkeys as we sing it) to print.

How it Went:
We sang the same songs as yesterday and read the book about the monkeys jumping on the bed again as well as sang the song to it.  We didn’t do the Speckled Frogs song, but we may do it during the week, we’ll see.  We’re doing minimal activities since we are both still sick.

Wednesday:  The art activity,  I’m having a hard time choosing between Tape Resist Art and the Numbers Collage Craft.  The Tape Resist Art would be fun, but I don’t know if he’ll color enough by himself without help.  The Number Collage Craft is similar to Thursdays activity, but it sounds fun, maybe I’ll do both and the Number Collage Craft for Thursday.

 Before
After finger painting and pulling of the tape

How it Went:
So, we didn’t have paint tape or masking tape, so we used medical tape.  I wanted to do the number two, but didn’t know how to curve tape, so we went with the number 1.  He had a blast painting.  I’m not sure if you are suppose to remove the tape when the paint is dry or wet.  I removed part of it wet and the tape stuck to the paper. :(  The rest of it worked well though.  Next time, we’ll get the right kind of tape! :)  So we learned, have the right kind of tape and take the tape off when the picture is dry.

Thursday: For our activity I think I am going to have him count sticker numbers.  That is an idea from the pin 125 activities for learning and numbers, except enhance it and do the Numbers Collage Craft.




How it Went:
I cut out numbers on cardstock and then put stickers of the same number on each number.  We are just going to do on1-5 this week and when he gets those down, we’ll do more numbers.  He’ll copy us saying 1-5, but he doesn’t yet understand.  He repeated them really well the 2nd and 3rd time! :)  I wish I would have made the one a little bigger and all of them wider except the 5.  They aren't perfect, but they work!

Friday:  We could either field trip to the park and count things at the park or on our way there or do a sensory bin with foam numbers.  Maybe even a sensory bag with foam numbers and something else like marbles or something.  It may just depend on the weather.

How it Went:
We did the field trip to the park.  We mostly counted rocks and trees.  We did count his shoes though.  He had a fun time while learning a little bit.  Before he could say 4 really well, now he says 3 really well.  Go figure.  He’ll repeat 1-5 pretty well though.  :)

Saturday:  Instead of doing food in the shape of whatever we are studying, I’m probably going to help him count how many of each food he has on his plate.

How it Went:  
Instead of doing this for a meal, we counted his snack.  We counted to 10 a couple of times.  He says the numbers pretty well and sometimes he’ll say the next number!  He’s starting to recognize the pattern, so we’ll just keep practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment